It’s next-to-impossible to avoid all sickness all the time.
Even when we do our best to take care of ourselves, there will be those times of intense stress, lack-of-sleep and sick household that can weaken our immunity and lead to acute illness.
When you do feel sickness coming on (or fear it will), we recommend the following supplements to bolster your immunity and help your body recover faster. The key is to start taking support as soon as you first feel the small niggling symptoms of pending illness.
- Vitamin D3/K2: use seasonally (in the winter) to help support your immune system.
- Viracid by Orthomolecular: a potent herbal formula, ideal when taken for early symptoms of a cold (like that scratch in your throat or tickle in your nose), or preventatively during cold/flu season. For best results at the onset of a cold, take 1-2 capsule per hour for 24 hours.
- OscillococcinumⓇ by Boiron: this homeopathic is most effective against the flu if taken immediately when symptoms arise, such as deep fatigue, a sore throat or really muscles. Of course, results can vary, but we have found it can lessen the symptoms of the flu, shorten the duration of the illness or even prevent the flu virus from taking hold (if caught early enough). *Note, not a vegetarian product.
- SinupretⓇ by BIONORICA: This blend of herbal extracts is highly recommended for sinusitis—which can be the manifestation of an upper respiratory tract infection.
- Black Elderberry Syrup: This delicious, immune-supportive syrup has its roots in ancient Greece, and modern science has now proven its ability to fight cold and flu. Children love it, and some people even take it prophylactically during cold and flu season to prevent illness (and it tastes so good, why not?).
Why We Love These:
By using remedies (like those listed above) to support your immune system, you can not only reduce the duration of your illness, but strengthen your whole body in the process. Plus, they’re gentler on your system and won’t dry you out or make you drowsy like common over-the-counter medications.
By using remedies (like those listed above) to support your immune system, you can not only reduce the duration of your illness, but strengthen your whole body in the process. Plus, they’re gentler on your system and won’t dry you out or make you drowsy.
You can find all of these curated products on your Fullscript account. Log on and and click on “Shop by Dispensary Categories” to the left of the search bar. Then select “Immune Support”.
Take a deeper dive into the science and research behind immune-boosting supplements with these articles from some of our favorite Functional and Alternative Medicine practitioners:
What You Need to Know About Vitamin-D and It’s Impact on Your Immune System by highly regarded functional medicine doctor, and autoimmune expert Dr. Amy Myers.
Elderberry: Natural Medicine for Colds, Flus, Allergies and More from holistic and natural health guru Dr. Josh Axe.
Supporting Your Immune System from 10-times New York Times Best-Selling Author and Director of the Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Functional Medicine: Dr. Mark Hyman.